Previously a run-of-the-mill cafe that fueled my former office at lunch, Caffe Teatro has changed ownership since those days. Aside from coffee, tea and inexpensive breakfasts they now offer a few Vietnamese food options including salad rolls, vermicelli bowls, and banh mi – or as they’re called here – “Saigon Subs”. They provide a number of different kinds of banh mi sandwiches including lemongrass chicken, lemongrass pork, meatball, ham & pate, and even a fried egg one which works as a quick morning meal. The subs are served with substantial toppings including sliced cucumber, cilantro sprigs, julienned carrots, and pickled daikon radish on a soft, non crunchy baguette similar to the texture at DD Mau. So how do these Saigon Subs compare to the authentic banh mi in Vancouver? Of course the bread is a little different since Caffe Teatro’s aren’t made with rice flour, but the other ingredients are there. Hey, we can’t complain with the limited selection of banh mi options on Vancouver Island!
Banh Mi in Victoria, BC at Caffe Teatro
on February 17, 2013 in Vietnamese
About Taya & GaryGary and Taya Ng are the Founders of Eating In Vancouver & the World. This husband and wife team search for the best dining experiences - including restaurant launches, new menu tastings and culinary events. Learn more about the couple here and connect with them on Twitter and Facebook.
- Ancora Opens For Weekday Lunch & Sunday Brunch April 18, 2016
- Vancouver’s Ancora Waterfront Dining & Patio Named Among Canada’s 100 Best Restaurants April 16, 2016
- Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria named amongst Best Pizza in the World by Condé Nast Traveler April 12, 2016
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Glowbal & COAST Restaurants April 8, 2016
- Glowbal Is Back And Better Than Ever August 13, 2015
- Beach Bay Café and Patio Now Serving Up Sunday Brunch August 5, 2015
- Beloved Victoria Macaron Patisserie set to open in Vancouver August 4, 2015
- Triple Threat Superfood – PRANA ProactivCHIA August 1, 2015
America baked goods bakery BC Breakfast British Columbia Brunch Burgers Cafe Chinese coffee coffee shop dessert desserts downtown espresso event Fairview French Hawaii Hotel Japanese Kitsilano lunch macarons Mexican Organic pastries Pizza Richmond sandwiches Seafood Sidney slider Sushi U.S. U.S.A. United States US USA Vancouver Vancouver Island Victoria Vietnamese West Broadway